Lincoln Heights Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Actress Erica Hubbard: Bringing Flavor to Hollywood with Every Role

Go down

Actress Erica Hubbard: Bringing Flavor to Hollywood with Every Role Empty Actress Erica Hubbard: Bringing Flavor to Hollywood with Every Role

Post by batman642 Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:36 pm

April 29, 2014

At the age of eight Erica Hubbard took the stage to deliver her one line for the play she was a part of. After the audience erupted in applause she knew this is what she wanted to do with her life, and she has been doing it ever since.

Talking to me about her success and the way her fans have followed her, Erica says "I feel real humbled that people follow me and support my career. To me you need that support system." Seeing them as that support system is why she uses social media to communicate as often as she can. "I like to keep in touch with everyone because they are like your family. They encourage you." In fact, instead of calling them fans, Erica told me she prefers to think of them as her extended family.

An accomplished actress who has been seen in notable movies such as SAVE THE LAST DANCE, LIGHT IT UP and AKEELAH AND THE BEE and television shows like LINCOLN HEIGHTS and LET'S STAY TOGETHER, there is truly no limit to where her talent will take us. This week television audiences will be able to see her bring the calculating character Mita to life in the move BLACK COFFEE on BET Thurs. May 1st @ 9:30p.m. et (8:30p.m. ct).

"It's a romantic movie. It's a love story," Erica says in talking about BLACK COFFEE. "We need to see more movies like this." Guys, if you think this isn't a film you can learn from and enjoy, you might want to think again. "Everybody likes to see romantic movies," she explains. "It's for the guys too. You get to witness how to treat a woman and what a woman expects. This is how a relationship works. We're giving all the (relationship) secrets away. It's a well-rounded, well-written, well-cast, well-developed movie."

Written and directed by Mark Harris---a man that Hubbard says it was a dream come true to work with---BLACK COFFEE takes you into the world of Robert (played by Darrin Dewitt Henson), a man who picked the wrong time to meet his soul mate! After being fired from his own father’s company, he feels like his luck has run out – until Morgan (played by Gabrielle Dennis) enters into his life. Just as things start to heat up between them, trouble brews as Morgan’s ex-husband played by Lamman Rucker) vows to get her back and Robert’s gold-digging ex-girlfriend Mita (played by Erica Hubbard) returns with an agenda of her own.

Bringing a character like Mita to life has been part of Hubbard's journey as an entertainer. "I have challenged myself to be a versatile actress in the comedy and drama world," she told me. Seeing a need for more African American actors to showcase more range, she told me she was willing to put herself out there to fill that void. That decision has paid off for her time and again.

So how has this rising star in Hollywood managed to not allow the industry to change her? The answer goes back to her roots. "You get grounded by being around grounded people," she says. For her that begins with family and friends. "When you're around well-rounded, sincere people that spirit is contagious." In fact when giving advice to others about pursuing their dreams, that is where Hubbard says the key lies. "In order to have a dream executed you have to center your life around people who are like-minded. Your association is everything."

Look for Hubbard and the cast of BLACK COFFEE on BET Thurs. May 1st. Stay connected with her online at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and on Twitter at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

batman642
batman642

Back to top Go down