Lincoln Heights Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Erica Hubbard of BET's "Let's Stay Together" Tackles HIV and AIDS for Women

3 posters

Go down

Erica Hubbard of BET's "Let's Stay Together" Tackles HIV and AIDS for Women Empty Erica Hubbard of BET's "Let's Stay Together" Tackles HIV and AIDS for Women

Post by batman642 Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:13 pm

You are here: Home / Celebs / Erica Hubbard of BET’s “Let’s Stay Together” Tackles HIV and AIDS for Women
Erica Hubbard of BET’s “Let’s Stay Together” Tackles HIV and AIDS for Women
March 9, 2011 By Jessica LaShawn Leave a Comment

Erica Hubbard
Erica Hubbard and The Erica Hubbard Foundation are extremely excited to be co- hosting and participating in such an influential event that will address “The National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day” which is a time for our community to seriously address one of the most exigent and relevant health concerns that is plaguing this generation and potentially future generations if proper education, testing, and prevention tactics are not successfully imparted to those at risk,” says Hubbard. I was able to ask Erica a few question about herself, mission and passion, keep reading to hear what this beautiful, educated and caring sister has to say.

JL: Why do you think the female population of the African American
Community’s statistics are so high when it comes to HIV and AIDS?

EH: I think the statistics are higher for the female population of
African-Americans when it comes to HIV/AIDS because there is a lack of knowledge and information distributed within the urban community. When people are uninformed or misinformed they can become victims. However, I believe the more events, articles, and mentoring programs that derive in our neighborhoods to keep educating everyone about the severity of this topic will enlighten the masses about the HIV/AIDS epidemic and how to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

JL: What do you think we can do as multiple organizations and community activist to teach women to have a stronger love for themselves and their life and ask questions since many women state that they contracted the disease because they were afraid to ask and or didn’t feel it was necessary?

EH: I believe the more we unite (forming support groups) and have events for causes that plague our neighborhoods it will force the community to be informed about social issues African-Americans are challenged with. However, there are non –profits that support our community bringing awareness to issues such as self-esteem, health, education, nutrition, finances, poverty, disabilities, etc. It is up to everyone to research different charity organizations and support their effort by volunteering, donating or spreading a positive word on each cause.

JL: Have you ever struggled with self worth and or self esteem issues? If so how did you deal with it and what motivated you to move beyond it?

EH: Yes, I have struggled with self-esteem issues, and I think the best way to combat difficulties with any issue is joining a support group. This is one of the main reasons why I formed The Erica Hubbard Foundation and also partner with other non-profits such as The Urban Wellness Project to mentor and support people dealing with trials and tribulations we all face in life. We need to help each other in our lives and encourage one another daily in order to make a difference to advance the human condition. Having an open dialogue about the difficulties we are up against daily helps everyone know they are never alone in any crisis!

JL: Over the years you have been blessed with numerous accomplishments, what allows you to press on and stay focused even when things aren’t really going your way and can those same ideologies be applied to women that might suffer from a lack of strength to try?

EH: Over the years I have made sure I surrounded myself with like minded professionals who edify, encourage, and empower me. I believe your association has a huge part on how successful your life will be because successful people motivate each other to pursue goals and aspirations. Also, one has to whole-heartedly believe that failure is not an option in life, and the only option is making sure you accomplish whatever you set out to achieve, never giving up!

JL: Talk about the work you do with your personal foundation within the
community.

EH: The Erica Hubbard Foundation was formed to motivate at-risk youth to always pursue their education, build self-esteem, and to raise awareness about the keys to a healthy and successful lifestyle. Everyone needs support groups in their schools, organizations, community centers, churches and youth groups that discuss the current challenges such as bullying, hygiene, stress, diet, education, racism, health, poverty, abuse, gang violence, drug/alcohol abuse, parenting, depression and many other important topics that people deal with daily.

JL: Many people forget about the impact of the arts on youth and how
exposing them to something new can literally change their life. When did you realize that you wanted to be an actress and did you have programs, mentors and or different support systems outside of your family that helped you develop your craft?

EH: Most definitely, the arts can have a huge impact on the youth and expose them to express their self in a creative and very productive manner. I joined the Piven Theater in elementary school and was involved in the arts at such a young age it influenced me to make it an occupation. My life was changed when I began in an art program from grammar school that I continued it throughout high school and college!

JL: Your new role on the hit tv series “Let’s Stay Together,” freshly
added to the BET roaster is one of a powerful black woman which we lack on primetime tv- Do you feel that your character can change a few
stereotypes about black women and possibly encourage a few of the younger generations to embrace a different mindset about themselves,
relationships and empowerment?

EH: I truly believe the character (Kita Whitmore) I portray on BET’s Let’s Stay Together is a powerful and positive example of an adult for the simple fact that she has a good job, lives by herself, family oriented, fun-loving and has a very genuine personality. I strongly feel that the portrayal of Kita on Let’s Stay Together can encourage the next generation to value family relationships and empower single women to wait on finding the appropriate guy to date such as Kita is doing with her “man-cation”. Kita is taking a “mancation” which is a vacation from men until she finds a healthy relationship to pursue in which the guy treats her with dignity and respect!

JL: People always say that you just can’t get a group of women together with out expecting some drama, what are a few key components to setting the mood for a beneficial, sisterly get together?

EH: A few beneficial recommendations on getting a group of women together to have great camaraderie with each other in a group setting is surrounding yourself with like-minded professionals who are pursuing the same goals tend to bond. Having a book club meeting, a movie night, prayer group or a Vision Board Party where people share their goals and dreams by making a poster of ideas from a magazine about who they expect to become or what they desire to accomplish are some ideas where a group of professionals can gather for a woman empowered get-together.

JL: You’re known for only partnering with organizations that are truly
focused on bettering the community and also individuals, what fuels your passion to inspire people and be so active within the trenches during your spare time?

EH: I really appreciate being involved in charity causes, community services, and giving back to the community because I feel passionate about bettering our neighborhoods. It truly inspires me to influence the masses to maintain hope! If I can take the time to encourage and motivate someone, hopefully someone will see my efforts in the community and also take the time to be involved in their community as well. It is vital and very crucial that we all help each other to make our neighborhoods we grow in safe and aware of issues.

JL: Events such as the S. I.S. – Safe is Sexy & Sexy is Safe in honor of the National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day are vital to many communities, how are you encouraging people to be more involved in this initiative since many people think that the HIV/AIDS epidemic was over with after the 90′s and only hurts people in Africa currently?

EH: It is imperative that the S.I.S. (Safe is Sexy and Sexy is Safe) Event being held in honor of the National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day reach the masses because the statistics of all the HIV/AIDS cases are extremely alarming when almost 60,000 people are infected in Illinois alone, and those numbers are increasing. When a crisis is not being addressed and people are not discussing issues, that’s when devastation happens- unless there is consistent awareness! I kindly ask and encourage everyone to support as many local or international charities as you can to make our human living conditions better!

Please visit [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] as well as
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] to make a difference and spread the word to help your community with social issues.

batman642
batman642

Back to top Go down

Erica Hubbard of BET's "Let's Stay Together" Tackles HIV and AIDS for Women Empty Re: Erica Hubbard of BET's "Let's Stay Together" Tackles HIV and AIDS for Women

Post by Candygwen Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:53 am

thanks for this batman642
Candygwen
Candygwen

Back to top Go down

Erica Hubbard of BET's "Let's Stay Together" Tackles HIV and AIDS for Women Empty Re: Erica Hubbard of BET's "Let's Stay Together" Tackles HIV and AIDS for Women

Post by LincolnHeightsDiva Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:28 pm

Thanks Batman....
LincolnHeightsDiva
LincolnHeightsDiva

http://magicallydivalicious.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down