Lincoln Heights Lounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Erica Hubbard Interview About Let's Stay Together

4 posters

Go down

New Erica Hubbard Interview About Let's Stay Together Empty New Erica Hubbard Interview About Let's Stay Together

Post by batman642 Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Check it out!!!!

Friday, January 6, 2012Interview With Erica Hubbard of BET's 'Let's Stay Together'

I got a chance to interview the lovely and talented actress Erica Hubbard, who portrays Kita Whitmore on the BET sitcom Let’s Stay Together, a show that examines the ins and outs of black love. Many of us first learned of Hubbard when she played Cassie Sutton on the ABC Family drama, Lincoln Heights, but she’s been in the business since she was a child and has appeared in numerous other projects.

I find Hubbard to be a refreshingly delightful woman, and hope to see a lot more of her on TV and the big screen! Find out more about Hubbard, what’s she done, what’s she doing and where she’s going-and why I think she’s awesome in our interview below!

I read you got your start doing voice-overs. What was your first acting job?

When I first started working in the entertainment industry I did modeling, voice-overs and commercials when I was 9 years old. My first voice-over was McDonald's, my first modeling job was for Sears, and my first commercial was Chick-Fil-A.

When did you realize you had talent for acting?

I realized I had a talent for acting when I was 18 years old. Around that age I started booking more television and film roles. I had started appearing in studio films such as Light It Up and Save the Last Dance.

What’s been your favorite role so far, and why?

My favorite role that I am having fun portraying is Kita Whitmore in Let's Stay Together. Being Kita I get a chance to make people smile and laugh (which I love to do)! Kita is a fun, vocal and a loving character to play.

Is there a role you’ve always wanted to play?

I would love to portray an action hero from a comic book. And last but not least, I would love to be a leading lady in a love story again. I had a great time portraying Cassie Sutton on Lincoln Heights in a romance, and love those story lines!

Who are your inspirations? (personal and/or professional)

People who inspire me are humanitarians and philanthropists. I admire people who truly care about the well-being of other humans; such as Gandhi, Malcolm X, Mother Teresa, Dr. King, etc. Also, reading books by Rick Warren, Larry Julian, and John C. Maxwell help me be optimistic and keep my sanity in life.

I read you got your college degree in three years! What are your thoughts on creative people earning a degree? (necessary or not?)

I think everyone should at least try to get a degree because I believe you need a business mindset in the entertainment business to help sustain a career. College prepares you to "think" a lot in your studies, and that discipline can help you when you are developing a career in the entertainment industry. You have to "think" your way through this business and make extremely wise choices. People should not only operate from the right brain, but also use your left side of the brain. If you only use your intuitive brain you will lack using your analytical brain and vice versa. I studied that and remain aware of which one I am using in life! I believe attending Columbia College (in Chicago) helped be become a well-rounded individual.

Though there seems to be a slow resurgence of black images in media, how do you feel about the lack of black TV shows and films as compared to the 80’s 90’s?

Slowly but surely, networks are starting to pick up more projects that center around the African American culture. Our stories told in the 80’s and 90’s worked, and had huge ratings…that time has come back around again to be embraced. I know The Game, Let's Stay Together, Soul Food, Lincoln Heights, and other urban shows that have aired in the last few years had great ratings. Currently, a lot of networks are looking at the success of urban programming and creating and developing more for us.

How do you feel about the portrayal of black love in media?

The portrayal of black love in the media should exist more in programming, but TV One, BET, TBS, etc. are developing more shows about black love. However, that's why I select the projects I am in because they are centered around black love. Being on Lincoln Heights was great because it portrayed positive images of the Sutton Family loving each other. Let's Stay Together also does a great job relaying the same positive image of black love in relationships.

How do you feel about the portrayal of black women in media?

I have mixed emotions on the portrayal of black women in the media, but I feel I'm doing my part and only can hold myself accountable for my own actions. Some people are role models, and others are in it for the 15 minutes of fame. As long as I do my part in society I can peacefully lay my head down at night. I truly love the roles I portray because they set good examples on how to behave and live.

Tell us about Let’s Stay Together and your character, Kita. What can we expect from her this season? (She will be on a Survivor type of reality show?)

Kita is a strong, vocal, fun-loving, independent woman who has a great job, her own apartment, but would love to find romance in her life. Yes, Kita goes to seek love on a reality show because she hasn't had any luck finding a quality man/gentleman to settle down with. However, there is an episode where she thinks she might have found "Mr. Right" (played by Damien Wayans). By the way, I am enjoying all the Twitter and Facebook messages I'm getting in regards to what people think Kita should do! …. Stay tuned!

Let’s Stay Together is a show about “black love”. Do you have any feelings on what seems to be a growing disconnect in black relationships—(at least according to the media)? Do you have any feelings on relationships from your own experiences?

Let's Stay Together is about "black love" and what it takes to find someone, fall in love with someone and make love work with somebody. As for myself, I have always been in long-term relationships and love being in love! I find joy in getting to know someone so deeply you want to count the breaths taken at night when they’re sleep. It is a true blessing to care for an individual very deeply and have two spirits connect so well you can know each other's thoughts. I think one of the reasons why I connect so well in my relationships because I have always been passionate to make love work well in my life.

What do you like to do in your down-time?

On my down time I love to vacation and explore new environments. Recently, I vacationed on a remote island in Tahiti. I enjoyed staying in an over-the-water bungalow watching and listening to the ocean. I love vacationing by the ocean because I truly enjoy nature. Vacationing by the ocean is very therapeutic and peaceful!

And speaking of personal time, please tell us about the Erica Hubbard Foundation!

It's very important to take time to give-back to my community and speak to at-risk youth about self-esteem and being a confident in life. I formed my non-profit so I could travel from city to city to speak to youth dealing with peer pressure and poverty. I had those same issues growing up in Chicago and needed guidance as well. It is very important to encourage the youth who deal with so many issues in our economy and feel like giving up on life so we can make more leaders in our community. As the saying goes, "It takes a village to raise a child,” and The Erica Hubbard Foundation is part of that village that mentors the youth. Also, I am excited to say I wrote a series of children books that I will travel around reading to schools for my literacy campaign in 2012!

Catch Erica Hubbard in the second season of Let’s Stay Together when it debuts on BET Tuesday, January 10! And stay updated on her career and learn more about her foundation on Hubbard’s site here

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
batman642
batman642

Back to top Go down

New Erica Hubbard Interview About Let's Stay Together Empty Re: New Erica Hubbard Interview About Let's Stay Together

Post by Candygwen Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:19 pm

Loved her interview as usual. Thx
Candygwen
Candygwen

Back to top Go down

New Erica Hubbard Interview About Let's Stay Together Empty Re: New Erica Hubbard Interview About Let's Stay Together

Post by LincolnHeightsDiva Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:47 pm

Thanks batman
LincolnHeightsDiva
LincolnHeightsDiva

http://magicallydivalicious.yolasite.com

Back to top Go down

Post by just4us2 Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:51 pm

loving it.Thanks
just4us2
just4us2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down